Friday, May 20, 2005

Bern Prison Tower

Bern Prison tower - Ok If Flickr was actually working for me today, I would have a picture of the tower for you, but instead, I can't seem to get the thing to Blog for me today. :(

I've actually walked under the tower numerous times, but never knew it was actually a prison tower. Set in quite a wonderful area of Bern, the Käfigturm (Prison Tower) is Bern's second tower and was the second western city gate.

A bit of history:

The tower was erected from 1256 to 1344 and served as a prison in the period from 1641 to 1643 and continued as such until 1897. The clock was added in 1961. You might actually miss it if you walk past all of the vendors and numerous diners along the cobble stone streets.

Bern is definitely a city to check out...

No comments:

Post a Comment