Saturday, February 25, 2006

Missing Out On That Fun

I sit here this morning thinking about what my family is doing as they hit the slopes for a weeks worth of vacation and skiing without me. I on the other hand, don't have my ski equipment with me in Vancouver, so the fun I'm missing out on hours away doesn't hurt as bad as if I had the darn skis right in front of my face.

Am I really missing out on that fun?

Well for now I don't feel all too bad about missing out on That fun, but I'm thinking more and more about what I'm missing out on as a spectator at Fasnacht. It's about being there to experience the funny costumes, to check out all the crazy people and to just take in what other people are doing. I do that best, I'm a secret lurker.

I'm sure some of you think I'm insane for wishing I could be a spectator with all that guggenmusik. I'd be out in the cold, camera in hand, ready to be spontaneous and shoot what I can in the moment. But the best part is that I could always escape afterwards and go back to my quiet home and relax. Well that is what I did while I was living in Switzerland.

I guess you don't realize what you are missing out on, until that fun is no longer all that close to you. So instead of day dreaming about going skiing or being somewhere in Switzerland for Fasnacht-Carnival or New Orleans for Mardi Gras, I'll just dream about what I'm not missing out on.

Instead, I'll finally be looking forward to the few things I'm not missing out on anymore. We finally ordered our bedroom furniture yesterday after living in our new place for a month without anything to hold our clothes. And I'll just have to enjoy our last day of great sunshine as the forcast in rainy Vancouver is subject to change. What it might bring however is less dry skin and a bit of snow. What I'm missing out on from one side of the world, isn't so bad when I look what I do have to look forward to. Really I'm excited in that odd way even if I am missing out on something a bit more entertaining and exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment