Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Granville Island - Worth The Visit

Over the weekend, we had the pleasure of visiting Granville Island, thus getting my fix on seeing a few open markets. It's the artist area of Vancouver which never disappoints.

Since it was quite chilly outside, being inside and checking out all of the shops full of unique artwork was so appealing to both of us. This was as close to a Christmas market that I could find in Vancouver area. They even had some native Christmas singers.

We only had 2 hours to spend browsing and photographing. I wasn't really into the photographing part so there aren't many photos from the trip. But I did find a photographer who has given me even more inspiration to know that I should be printing and selling my work.

But I guess we saved the best for last because we ended up with 2 new pieces of artwork to hang on our walls. The most notable is P's favorite artist, Roy Henry Vickers, who happens to have a gallery in Tofino. P picks Roy's work out every time! I think he uses layers to complete his work. It's so impressive...

Roy Henry Vickers happens to be a native artist and recognized by the First Nations, along with being a featured part for the 2010 Olympic bid.

September Smoke is the name of the above work we bought. It's so impressive! This is what Roy wrote about the artwork.

September is one of the most beautiful months of the year. Those last days of summer, warm afternoons and cool evenings. In the high country of the Rocky Mountains the first frosts change the leaves of the aspen and maple to brilliant hues of red, orange and yellow. In September 1989 I had the opportunity to fulfill a 20 year dream of hunting on horseback in the high country. It took a few days of riding and evenings spent around the campfire to realize that my soul and spirit had yearned for this time in the high country.

No comments:

Post a Comment