Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Expat Travels Turns One

It's hard to believe I've only been around blogging for a year now. It was on February 7th of last year that I finally decided to talk about my travels which got me to live my dreams quite literally.

You see I quit my "office" job back in 2001 in California because I was very unhappy in the corporate world and I knew what my goals were. I decided to take an independent job in marketing in Geneva that fell through the cracks after I arrived.

So what better to do that travel, see the world and get my English Teaching Certificate. I spent that May 2002 in Prague after spending a few months in Switzerland. I was lucky enough to have friends there that let me stay without the worries of paying for rent at the time. I totally had the time of my life and decided that Prague definitely wasn't for me and Switzerland was. That's how all of my adventures in Switzerland started.

But as all good things come to an end, I knew my permit would only be good for another year. I wasn't lucky enough to get a longer term permit to stay. Quite frankly I was tired of feeling like I wasn't going to be able to settle into a home that I could call home for more than just a year! I know I'm going to be an expat for life, well at least I know that I don't want to return to where I grew up. My life call is about traveling and about being in other places in the world.

I ended up in Canada because I knew I could immigrate there eventually. I knew it was so much like Switzerland and that is exactly what I was longing for; a place to make me happy. So with laptop in hand, I ended up half way across from where I started. Who would have known that I would meet that special man in my life along the way also.

I'm pretty sure I started my blog because I wanted to share my photos and my interests with other people who loved Switzerland and traveling also. I'm happy to have met so many internets, some even in person. Others, well I do hope to meet them some day as we keep emailing each other back and forth. And for now, I'll just keep on blogging and bring to you the world as I see.


It's been one sweet year but I'm sure there's many more to come for Expat Travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment