Friday, March 24, 2006

Real Time Updates Saved My Boredom

Last night I totally thought I was off the hook for watching a full 10 ends of curling with P. I don't mind watching a few ends but after a while, I really just loose interest in watching curling and just want to know the outcome of the game.

P deemed curling actually wasn't on last night so I was off the hook, or so I thought. So I started watching something else on the tube while P was browsing the Internet on his computer.

Suddenly he told me "wait a minute there is curling on tonight after all". Ok, I give in and let the poor guy have control of the clicker and proceed to watch the match. But the puzzling thing for him was on the computer where he got all of this information was that he had real time results.

In fact, TSN was some 30 minutes or an hour behind which meant it certainly wasn't a "live" curling match. We knew what the results were in the 4th round and in fact we knew what the results were in the 9th round as we were still watching this 5th round.

So I finally asked him to keep checking on "real time" on his computer to find out the outcome of the game. Yes it was partly my way of getting out of watching the entire match. In the end, the Canadian team did beat Denmark. If they ended up loosing, there would have been a 4 way tie for the next round. I can't even imagine what would have happened.

Now I think I've found one really good use for real-time internet data after all. Although I'm not totally into curling, some parts of the technique I'm learning more and more about. I'm just wondering if I'm going to catch the bug and actually want to curl like P!

No comments:

Post a Comment