Wednesday, November 01, 2006

American's Guide to Canada

I ran into this website about Canada this morning. I guess there are a few hints here and there that once you have lived in Canada you sort of just take for granted.

But I can laugh because I didn't figure out a few things until way later on.

For instance:

  • There is no mail delivered on Saturdays. I think it took me over a year until this really dawned on me!


  • The Trans-Canada Highway -- Canada's analogue to the US Interstates -- is two lanes wide for most of its length. (Way smaller than I was used to!)


  • Mortgage interest is not tax-deductible. The interest rate on most mortgages is not fixed, but rather, is renewed at the end of a term which can be as short as six months or as long as seven years. (way different)

  • Most Canadians will tell you that the last letter of the alphabet is pronounced "zed." Sharon, Lois, and Bram, popular children's entertainers, make it a point in their performances of "The Alphabet Song" to say "zed" instead of "zee." (this one still cracks me up - It's sort of like how Europeans always start counting with their thumb!)

  • No comments:

    Post a Comment