Friday, May 05, 2006

Happy Cinco de Mayo

Well I'm late on posting today because I slept in this morning (must have needed the extra sleep) and then went out to enjoy the sun and exercise. I'm just on call today for work which makes it much more enjoyable for a sunny day. Oh and we do have plans which I'll post later. So onto the post.

Here in North America we really celebrate Cinco De Mayo a lot more simply because it's more commercialized. The main gain is to make sure sales of food and cervezas. People mostly make it a reason to party but really forget why Mexican's (their orgins being from Mexico or Hispanic) celebrate the day.

Well actually I wouldn't say it's just Hispanic's because I can remember going to a few parties with my parents in my younger years. Everyone always made great food, dressed up in wonderful traditional dresses, had a pinata with candy spewing out of it, and made the most incredible ethnic food along with a few cervezas. Certainly where I grew up we had a wide variety of Hispanics, even at my school, to show us just everything about enjoying this day, especially what a good pinata looked like. I think pinata's had enough influence that many of my friends growing up just had to have one for their birthday at least once.

Here's a bit of history to go along with the day.

The history and significance of Cinco De Mayo commemorates the defeat of the French army by the Mexicans at The Battle Of Puebla in 1862 (see photo above). So, why Cinco de Mayo? And why should Americans savor this day as well? Because 4,000 Mexican soldiers smashed the French and traitor Mexican army of 8,000 at Puebla, Mexico, 100 miles east of Mexico City on the morning of May 5, 1862.

Of course when celebrating this holiday, nothing can be more complete that talking about Beer. Be sure to take a look at the origins and how it was an Ancient Aphrodisiac. And make sure you check out more about Mexican Beer origins. And I little birdy told me that there are a few of you out there that will be enjoying this weekend and partaking in festivities.

No comments:

Post a Comment