Tuesday, February 13, 2007

The Blackberry

For some of us, it's hard to think about life without our mobile devices. I know that was my thinking while I was living in Switzerland. My mobile phone was how I was connected to my friends as I travelled from city to city. It was my way of knowing what they were doing and if I could meet up with them. Most of this communication was done through what most know as SMS or text messaging. It's the cheap alternative to calling someone. And it came in really handy when it was time to meet up with a friend in a train station with crowds everywhere.

So I can only imagine what it has been like to be using a Blackberry mobile device. The BlackBerry is a Canadian invention which was actually introduced way back in 1999. The Blackberry mobile device supports such functions as e-mail, mobile telephone, text messaging, internet faxing, web browsing and other wireless information services. I guess you learn something new every day because before the Canadian inventions series a few weeks ago, I wouldn't have known this was a Canadian invention.

The Canadian company which developed the Blackberry is known as Research In Motion (RIM), it delivers information over the wireless data networks of mobile phone service companies. BlackBerry first made headway in the marketplace by concentrating on e-mail. If you really don't know what a Blackberry is, please click on the above link.

I'll leave you with a stunning photo of the progression of mobile phones.

For me, the mobile phone progression is mind boggling.

No comments:

Post a Comment