Monday, March 05, 2007

Misplay of the Week

I'm not sure if you heard the crazy report about the Swiss invading Lichtenstein but it's all over the news everywhere. P first told me about it on Thursday or Friday night in which he told me of the source (Blick.ch) and I had a big laugh. As I know it, Blick is more of a tabloid magazine than actual news. If you read the site, you will probably totally agree.

What actually happened was that the Swiss troops who were in training got a bit lost and ended up a bit in Lichtenstein. During the night, the 170 or so infantry soldiers were doing an exercise and wandered into the unmarked border before realizing they had gone too far. No big deal, no harm done even since the Swiss protect Lichtenstein. But once one newspaper gets involved the tabloid reports fly.

As we were sitting on the couch Sunday evening watching CBC, The Swiss Invade Lichtenstein actually was announced as the misplay of the week! What was even funnier was they went to a commercial ahead of time and I said, oh they are going to say The Swiss Invade Lichtenstein. I still can't believe this non-newsy news made it into mainstream. I guess it's a great lesson in Viral marketing gone right!

No comments:

Post a Comment